Tips Before Joining a Support Group
No two support groups are alike, so you may have to research a group before you consider joining. You will want to know the following before you decide to attend:
- The focus of the support group
- Whether the setup is formal or informal
- Ground rules of the group
- The cost, or if it is free
- If the group will meet your needs
When you first join a group, you may not feel comfortable opening up to a group of unfamiliar faces. This will take time, and you may feel more comfortable once you hear other people’s stories and experiences. If you try it out and realize that support groups are not for you, you may try counseling or other types of therapy.